Dow rises modestly
The US major broad indices closed solidly higher on the day.
The gains were led by the Nasdaq index which rose by 1.53%. A look at the closing numbers shows:
- S&P index rose 30.66 points or 0.81% to 3798.93
- Nasdaq index rose 198.67 points or 1.53% 13197.30
- The more narrowly focused Dow 30 index rose by 116.26 points or 0.38% to 30930.51.
- The Russell 2000 small Index rose 26.79 points or 1.26% to 2150
- Dow rises for the first time in 4 days (3 day losing streak)
- S&P and NASDAQ index snapped a two day slide
After the close Netflix reported
- Streaming paid net change of 8.51 million users. That was much better than the 6.06 million users estimate.
- Guidance for the 1st quarter is for a net paid change of 6.0 million vs. estimate of 7.45 million
- Revenues came in at $7.13 billion vs. estimate $7 billion
- Earnings-per-share came in at $1.19 vs. $1.39 estimate
- Netflix sees 1st quarter ECB of $2.97 vs. $2.12 estimate
- Say that they will explore ongoing stock buybacks
the stock is is trading sharply higher to $554.32 in after- hour trading. The stock closed at $501.77.